Saturday, April 4, 2009

Random Happenings

Another Family Day! God has blessed us by giving us each other and we love to spend time with our family. We enjoyed working around the house this morning. Talani cut the grass and edged the yard . . . it looks great! It doesn't seem possible that just a couple of weeks ago the grass was all winter-brown and the trees were bare. Now, we have a lovely green lawn and the trees are growing shady!
I stayed in the house, mostly, and worked in the kitchen. I made a big pot of red beans to use in meals later on in the week. (They take 2 hours to cook, so if I don't make beans on the weekend, we won't be eating any. And beans are too economical and too healthy to just not eat them.) I'll use some tomorrow after the evening church to make red beans and rice with sausage. The rice and sausages are also already cooked, so we'll have a quick supper before the kids have to go to bed. I made chocolate chip pancakes and bacon for lunch. Then, naptime!
After naps, we got ready for the beach. The weather is beautiful today. Warmer than last week and not quite so painfully windy. Apparently, other people noticed the nice weather, too, because the beach was more crowded today than last Saturday. We had a wonderful time flying our kites. . . I think that Talani will blog more about the kite-flying and will include more pictures. I couldn't help but include this picture of Jarod, though. He had picked up a rock to give to his sister, carried it about 3 steps, and decided to throw it in the air. He looks so happy!

I've been reading from the website www.thefamilyhomestead.com lately and have been intrigued by the homestead homemaker's philosophies of healthy eating and economics. She's inspired me to try baking bread. I used to have a bread-making machine, but got rid of it several years ago. I didn't like that the blade used for mixing was embedded in the cooked loaf so you had to rip your bread apart to get the blade out. I had never tried to make bread from scratch before, but last Sunday evening I decided to give it a go. It was tasty . . . and bread is actually surprisingly easy to make. It went so well, that I decided to make a whole batch - 3 loaves - yesterday, since I was home with the kids from school and they were napping. The following picture is the result of that attempt. I only had 2 loaf pans so I made the 3rd loaf into rolls. After they came out of the oven, I rubbed all the crusts with butter (because I remember my mom doing that; I don't know what it does.) and then rubbed the rolls with a clove of garlic and sprinkled a little kosher salt on them. We ate the rolls with our supper last night and they were so yummy. They had just a slight flavor of garlic, and the salt was perfect. We sliced on of the loaves of bread to eat with our fried rice for tonight's supper, and it was so tasty. Really, has making bread always been so easy? It's time consuming with the two rising times, but easy and with relatively little clean up. I should have started baking bread years ago.
Our fried rice was so yummy tonight. Mom, thanks so much for making summer sausage fried rice in North Carolina last Christmas. I never would have thought of that on my own, and now we rarely eat fried rice without summer sausage. I used to use lots of soy sauce and 2 ramen seasonings for flavor, but now only use a little soy and no ramen seasonings. We love the flavor the summer sausage gives and I like that we are not using so much sodium. To the summer sausage, I added 3 slices of left over bacon and 3 eggs. It was just right. (And I had enough rice left over from the pot that I made to use in tomorrow night's red beans, sausage, and rice supper.)
I hope the boys in the family don't mind reading all this kitchen talk. Sorry, guys.


Jarod was much overdue for a haircut, so we finally stopped procrastinating this week. He doesn't like to sit still for a haircut. He keeps trying to turn around to see what's making the buzzing sound against his head. I think he looks adorable all closely cut now. He looks so grown up!

The kids are in bed and dessert (and dinner clean up) are waiting for me! Talani will be adding more pictures and writing an entry shortly. Love you all!

4 comments:

David and Noella Tupua said...

Malo lava, Palepa! Don't apologize to the men in the family about all the cooking info - they love it, especially when they are part of the tasting team. Warning: they will all expect to have some of your home baked bread, healthy bean dishes, yummy fried rice, and of course homemade strawberry jam (that should be perfect on the warm homemade bread - and the anchor butter that we're sending up next week end), etc. etc. - good going, Palepa!
Thanks for the pictures. I love that happy go lucky one of Jarod throwing up the rock - he does look so at home at the beach! oh, what was that? he would love the beaches here in the islands - hmmmmmmm.
......looking forward to more pictures and sharing of recipes! love you all ! xoxoxox mu-ah, mu-ah, mu-ah-o!

David and Noella Tupua said...

P.S. Yes! Jarod looks so grown up with his haircut! cutie pie. Love you Dianna! Love you Jarod! oh, and you too, Lan & Palepa! xoxoxo - and Palepa, in our fried rice, we experiment with any kind of left overs....so don't just stop with the summer sausage and eggs and bacon - go for it! fried rice is good by itself or with everything else :-) xoxoxo mom

David and Noella Tupua said...

Praise the Lord! All that yard work in Vailoa has paid off. Your yard can never be bigger than the large job you had in Vailoa. Great job, I know Grandpa Tupua and Grandma appreciated it. I know I did, Because I didn't have to do it. Thanks very much. Malo lava. Yes Jarod, the Manaia, looks great; and so does the Taupo- Diana. Thanks for the Bread it looks very delicious!!\
Good job everyone. Thankyou so very much for the box of goodies. Dad

We have to go and get some calamari!! It was Kilika's idea. Thanks so much. We have learned so much from you guys!! Amen. Dad

Driftwood Girl said...

So great reading about all you've been up to. I love that you baked bread! Yeast dies on my watch and is NOT my friend, so I've decided to stick with scones, biscuits and non yeasty yummies :) I think it's awesome that you can make bread, though and the loaves and rolls look SO good!! I LOVE the first picture of Jarod. His smile just brightened my day :) Love you guys!